Britannia Leisure Centre is an ambitious, award-winning central London regeneration project featuring a top of range leisure centre featuring a new six-lane 25m main pool, training pool, leisure pool, six-court sports hall, crèche, fitness suite, studio spaces, 4 squash courts, 2 roof-top five-a-side pitches and 2 roof-top tennis/netball courts.
Key Project Features
- Working on a constrained inner city site, building over an existing sewer required an intelligent foundation solution together with a multi-storey stacked structural design whilst offering large open plan spaces to be realised.
- The building meets the 35% contribution from renewable/low carbon technologies required by Planning. The building has a high level of insulation and heat recovery, and a district heating system enables the carbon footprint to be lower.
- BREEAM excellent
- Winner of the New London Architecture Awards 2022: Winner in the Culture Category and Overall Winner
- Winner of the Building Awards 2021: Delivering Social Value Award
Core Five Added Value
- Worked with the project team to generate value engineering savings of which £3.1M were secured pre-contract and a further £3.3M of savings were found and agreed with the contractor during the PCSA phase
- Works procured on budget due to diligent and forensic cost management throughout the design development/PCSA stage prior to agreement of the contract sum
- 100% of the contract sum work packages tenderered and agreed during the PCSA stage – within a 5 month period – prior to its agreement
- A rigorous cost management process undertaken by Core Five driven hard from early supplier engagement, incorporating significant design development and value engineering options into the competitive tender process
- Collaborative working with the Contractor and Project Team during the construction programme during the Pandemic overcame supply chain and logistical challenges