1 Appold Street comprises the redevelopment and extension of the existing 390,000sqft office building located within the Broadgate campus in the City of London. The building is being reinvented and repositioned to deliver a best-in-class sustainable workplace and is at the forefront of British Land’s 2030 sustainability strategy. The cut and carve scheme makes good use of the existing foundations which allow a further 5 floors, a pavilion, and landscaped terraces to be added to the building.
75% of the existing structure is retained enabling an ambitious embodied target of 437 kgCOe/m2, with further potential savings identified which will be explored in later stages. The re-use of existing materials is also being considered and Globechain will be utilised during strip out works to redistribute unneeded items back into the circular economy. There is also an intention to use cuttings from a close by Core Five project for the landscaping in surrounding areas, green roofs, and terraces. Core Five have carried out Life Cycle Costings and Embodied Carbon Optimisation (ECO) studies to assist in reducing both embodied and operational carbon.
Key Project Features
- Targeting BREEAM Outstanding, NABERS 5.5 Star, and EPC Rating A
- 75% of the existing structure is retained enabling an ambitious embodied carbon target of <500kgCOe/m²
- The landscaped balconies along the East façade provide covered outdoor amenity space at upper levels
Core Five Added Value
- Achieved £10m of value engineering through pro-active cost management through early design stages.
- Early market engagement carried out for key packages such as Enabling Works, Upper Floors, Steel Frame & Façade.
- Heavily market tested cost plan
- Robust tender run with Tier 1 Main Contractors
- Tailored procurement approach to meet tight programme driven by vacant possession dates
- Developed several procurement options such as separate soft strip and enabling works contracts
- Driven project team to meet most efficient tender programme to enable swift start on site at Vacant Possession.